Juvenile Records and Supervision

I was adjudicated delinquent of robbery–a felony. I was seventeen. I got placed. I am 19 now and no longer in the placement. I was told I am on indefinite probation. What does this mean? Will I have a criminal record for the robbery for the rest of my life.

When a person is adjudicated delinquent of a crime in Pennsylvania, the person can be supervised under probation or placement until either they are 21 or they max out on the charges for which they have been convicted. The max on robbery can range from 7 to 20 years depending on the gradation of the robbery. Therefore, in your example, the judge can supervise you until you are 21. The exception to this rule is for certain sex offenses the judge may be able to supervise you after your 21st birthday. May people in my field think this is unconstitutional, but we are all waiting to find out. If you have any questions about this, send me a separate email.

In regard to you having a record for the adjudication, you will have a record unless you get a pardon. Your points for purposes of prior record score under the adult sentencing guidelines will lapse when you are 27, but the judge can consider the adjudication as an aggravating factor. Again, this is all a separate issue.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.