Summary Conviction: Was I Convicted of Summaries?


I got tied up with some nonsense about a bounced check. I don’t even know how it happened. If was a simple mistake. I was told that if I go to the magisterial judicial district, i can just plead guilty and pay a fine. If I do this, the whole thing will be over; who cares?

If you do everything you state about, you will have a summary conviction on your record that you cannot get expunged under the current law. Further, bad checks involve dishonesty and someone, somewhere along the road to your future will somehow challenge your employment due to this conviction.

Absolutely do NOT plea guilty to any summary offense unless you already have a prior criminal conviction and you will never be worries about a future job. If you are concerned with your record, show up to court and see if they offer you something other than a record.


9 Comments on Summary Conviction: Was I Convicted of Summaries?

  1. Anonymous // at 9:30 pm // Reply

    Question! If my case is dismissed, closed and dropped at my preliminary hearing how long will it take to doc it? My brother’s case has been dimissed but he’s been detained by the immigration and taking into custody. He cannot come out yet since his last case has not been doc that it’s closed. Please how long does it take for it to appear on his record so he can come homw?

  2. Brian J. Zeiger, Esquire // at 9:34 pm // Reply

    The update to the docket should not take more than 3-14 days. Understand that the docket will still show the arrest and the subsequent discharge, so the history of the case will still exist. Good Luck.

  3. Anonymous // at 10:10 pm // Reply

    thank you so much for responding in such a timely manner. This is very important to me and I’m glad that I can actually get some help to my questions.
    Thank You

  4. Anonymous // at 12:19 am // Reply

    I have a question, too. I was caught shoplifting, and the price was under $150. It was my first offense ever. I signed two forms in regards to the amounts that were stolen. A police officer was there only to check my record. I was told that I would be mailed papers to pay fines, but I am not going to court. I was told this would be on my record.

    So…I guess that I plead guilty? So was I convicted of a crime? Will this incident affect me when filing for financial aid at schol or job applications? And is there any way to not have this on my record if I could do community service or something instead? Can I even go to court over this since I signed the civil and criminal papers? This is a lot to answer, I know, but I was in too much shock (for stealing, not for being caught) to ask questions, and I appreciate any advice you may offer.

  5. Brian J. Zeiger, Esquire // at 2:49 am // Reply

    I am not sure if you plead guilty. It sounds like you have, but I would need to actually read the paperwork before I could intelligently answer your question.

    As far as a criminal record goes, if you actually were found or plead guilty to a non-traffic summary offense, then you would have a criminal record.

    As of the day I am writing this comment, you cannot have this removed from your record unless you get a pardon from the governor. However, there is pending legislation, that I believe will pass, that would allow you to get an expungement after five years from the date of the end of the term on the conviction.

    Hope this helps.

  6. Anonymous // at 5:26 am // Reply

    Yes, I am aware of that legislation, thank you.

    I think what is upsetting me the most is that I have no idea what is happening and what may happen. However, some things have been cleared up for me. First, the papers I signed tonight only acknowledged the incident. It was made clear to me that I did not plead guilty to anything. I know the store’s collection agency will bill me for the stolen amount plus up to $150, but is that different than me receiving a citation (from a magistrate’s office?) and needing to pay additional fines? If that is different, then when does something go on my record, when I receive the citation in the mail? And I am confused, because the security officer told me that I have to go to the police department to be fingerprinted. She made it seem that I need to do it in the next few days, but should I wait until I receive anything in the mail instructing me to do such?

    Again, thank you for all your help. I’m just very distraught over this whole event, because it was such a random thing that happened; I had no intentions of stealing anything until it occurred.

  7. Brian J. Zeiger, Esquire // at 2:54 pm // Reply

    When you go to the police station and get fingerprinted, in my opinion, that is an arrest, and the record of your arrest will then exist. You will not be “guilty” of anything at that point unless they make you go before the judge and actually enter a plea of guilty. At that point, they may offer you community service or some type of class to make it go away. I would not plea guilty unless you have a real understanding of what is going on.

  8. Anonymous // at 6:21 pm // Reply

    I have a question… back in 1991 I was convicted of Reatail theft (3929), Criminal conspiracy (903), and theft property lost (3924) and got probation for it.. are any of these expungable? I have no criminal record since not even a parking ticket and have since been bonded..Also what does migrated disposition mean?

  9. Brian J. Zeiger, Esquire // at 6:23 pm // Reply

    @anon from 7/12/11, sounds like it is not expungeable, but would be a good pardon application.

    However, it is possible it could be expunged, but i would need a lot more info. Either call me or email and I will tell you what I need to give you the correct answer.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.